Have a gander at 10 Best Cheap Microphones [2021 Reviews]
I am a music lover and if you are too, then let's face the truth that not everyone is capable of starting their musical career with a well-equipped studio. But a microphone is very vital to the music practice and even then some are so expensive that they are beyond our reach.
Of course, some are very good quality and we need to dish out the money for that, but still, it's a major problem keeping us from exploring our opportunities in the world of music. Now consider you can afford some of the microphones on the market, but you still need to be sure about the fact that they will be worth your money and time.
So like me, you also need to balance out the best cheap microphones that you can pick from the market and choose the one that suits your needs the best of all. The following article will help you out in selecting the best cheap microphone for your musical journey. A wide variety of microphones are available in the market and so it becomes quite a complex part on behalf of the buyer to land on the correct option for their musical needs. I have skimmed through the range of affordable microphones that are available in the market. But to get a better understanding of the products and the features they entail at the low price tag and are they even decent enough to give us the required performance, the following list gives a detailed synopsis of the different cheap but good microphones that we can get in the market.
BEST BUDGET MICROPHONES
BEST CHEAP MICROPHONES FOR SINGING
Many of us want to be singers and also have the skill for it and right now the internet is the best medium of getting any recognition for the talent. So for singing the basic thing you require is a good microphone and if you are just starting then you might be skeptical of purchasing an expensive microphone. But thankfully there are a lot of good cheap and affordable microphones for singing that are available in the market.
1. Singing Machine Unidirectional Dynamic Microphone
This is a unidirectional microphone and as the name suggests is specially made for singing purposes. The microphone comes with a plug-in jack and so it is very easy to use with any setup, just plug it in and we are good to go. The microphone has high sensitivity and works on a dynamic range of frequencies, thereby ensuring that the richness of your sound is not lost in the electronic conversion.
The mic comes attached with a 10.5 feet cord so now we can have the long-range of freedom of movement and the microphone works seamlessly when connected to a karaoke machine. The microphone comes with a 3.5mm adapter and a 6.3mm plug-in feature.
- The long cable makes it very comfortable to move around or stand while singing on the microphone.
- The microphone has a high sensitivity but low feedback and does a commendable job of cutting out the breathing sounds of someone who sings too close to the microphone.
- The build quality of the microphone is high and endures a lot of falls, which is pretty common if you have a kid playing karaoke in the house.
- The microphones work great at first, but after a short period of daily use the connections could fail and the wires may start to short thereby damaging the microphone.
- The cord despite being long is not much durable and is very much sensitive to the lightest pull and can break or damage the internal circuit causing a complete malfunction.
2. Shure SM58-LC Cardioid Dynamic Vocal Microphone
This particular model like the previous one in the list is also made for recording the vocals of the user and offers professional-quality output for studio recordings and live performances. The microphone comes with a built-in spherical voice filter for reducing any disturbances and breathing sounds and the filter can also be applied as a pop filter and can be used for tuning your performance.
The steel mesh design is best suited for rough usage and handling. The frequency of the microphone has been specially designed to assist any vocal performance and automatically tunes out the background disturbances and the wind noises that are captured by other microphones and ruins the audio quality.
- The clarity of sound is top-notch and maintains the richness of the sound.
- The microphone has a decent dynamic frequency range and the feedback is very clear on this microphone.
- The microphone has been facing some issues regarding the XLR cable that comes with the packaging and sometimes has been found to not work at all.
- The output signal has some issues and the playback might not be liked by someone looking for a crisper sound profile.
3. Samson Q2U USB/XLR Dynamic Microphone Recording and Podcasting Pack
This model is one of the most dynamic pieces of machinery available on the market. This particular microphone comes with dual output ports, that is, it is equipped with XLR and USB ports and hence is compatible with most of the recording and editing software that we use.
The microphone has a cardioids design and a unidirectional pickup pattern for audio. The mic works on a dynamic range of frequency that is from 50Hz to 15kHz, so the microphone was suited for applications in live stage concerts as well as for studio recordings. The audio played and recorded is crystal clear and the performance is also durable for a longer period.
- The build quality is very durable and gives exponential performance out of the box and is very good for recording.
- The XLR and USB outputs make it compatible with a large number of software and devices.
- The audio output is viable for various editing software and the playback even sounds better when edited.
- The microphones can be directly monitored using the USB port and being connected to the external software.
- The sound quality may not be consistent when streaming through any online platform and picks up a lot of noise.
- The microphone is made in a handheld design so the mic needs to be in very close proximity to the mouth for it to catch and record the audio.
4. Behringer Ultravoice Dynamic Vocal Microphone
This is another affordable, good quality microphone and like the previous entries in this list, this one is also designed in a handheld model. The mic has been specially designed for vocal recording and sound projection. The voice projection is very good for vocals at the mid-frequency region and retains the crispness of the original sound. The sound captured is of very transparent quality due to the ultra frequency capture module.
There is a pre-installed shock mount system for reducing the handling noise to a crisp minimum. It also comes with a pop filter allowing the microphone to differentiate between the breathing noises. The solid metal body makes sure that the microphone is very much durable and we can use it for live concerts as well as studio recordings.
- The build quality is very durable and that makes it endure much wear and tear during performances whether at home or outside.
- The audio output is very clear and high quality.
- The pop filter automatically clears the audio of any noise or breathing sounds.
- The recorded audio is of good quality for instruments as well.
- Sometimes there is much noise disturbance emanating from the microphone itself.
- The pickup may be faulty in some cases and we would need to hold our mouths directly above the mic for it to capture the audio.
BEST CHEAP RECORDING MICROPHONES
Live broadcasting/streaming has become one of the most popular trends on the online platforms and every day more and more people are joining different online platforms and trying out their hand at it, but not every one of us is capable of starting or setting up a fully equipped studio at our homes and practice at homes with a professional equipment set. We all are limited financially whenever we are starting on a new venture. Microphones are a common element you need nowadays for almost everything like streaming to doing voice-overs. So good cheap mics become an essential part of our home studio if we want to pursue the field with full dedication.
5. MAONO Podcast Streaming Cardioid Microphone
The microphone is one of the most affordable mics available in the market with a professional quality chipset for sound. The microphone is designed with a polar pickup pattern and a self-noise reduction module for reducing the sound made by the handling of the microphone. The microphone has a high sensitivity and can pick up the most subtle sounds in a good way. So this microphone is perfect for live concerts, studio recordings and for live streaming and broadcasting games.
- The microphone comes with the stand and clamps and cords we need to set up do we don’t have to worry about getting them from outside.
- The pop filter works very fine and the noise reduction is excellent.
- The mic is extremely easy to use and we can just plug it in and play.
- The sensitivity is very high, so it needs very much thorough monitoring.
- There is the clear absence of the mute button on the mic.
- The readjustments are very hectic in the case of this particular model.
6. Neewer NW-700 Professional Studio Broadcasting Recording Condenser Microphone
This is a condenser microphone and works a little differently from the other microphones mentioned in this list. The mic needs to be connected to an active power source for performing. If we plug it into a desktop PC then it will work just fine, but if we are using it on a laptop, then the laptop needs to be connected to the charger as it will consume power for functioning properly.
The microphone comes with a shock mount and a table mount clamp stand. Also, there are scissor arms included so we can set up the microphone at our desired position. This feature comes in very handy during recording videos as we have the comfort of freedom of movement.
- The setup pieces of equipment at the low price range are very helpful for beginners to set up their recording station.
- The microphone efficiently filters out the handling noise and any kind of background disturbances.
- The body is full metal, but not at all, too heavy for handling and the condenser size is bigger than the other mics in this price range.
- The microphone needs an external power supply and this can be a problem for some people in acquiring the external power source for using the microphone.
- The shock mount may get a little loose and there is the risk of the mic falling on receiving a little push from any external sources.
7. ZealSound Condenser Broadcast Microphone
This is a normal condenser microphone and the specialty of this model is that it comes with a built-in sound card. So now we don't have to worry about enhancing the recorded audio as the equipped sound card will take care of it. The pickup platform of the mic is made in an omnidirectional pattern so it gives the complete surround sound and an immersive quality in the output audio.
The microphone comes with an easy plug and play USB port for being connected with your desktop or laptop and has a good performance and consistency on streaming live on different platforms. This is the perfect microphone if we want to do commentary on games.
- The microphone has huge level monitoring features and an experienced individual can easily tune it to sound like a professional and expensive microphone.
- It provides for harmonic distortion control not only with this mic but also with other connected sound equipment.
- The sound output is very clear and gives a crisp texture to the final output, so the richness of the original sound is not lost.
- The headphone may not be of not very good quality and may sometime develop a static problem after a short period of usage.
- The Windows operating system may not recognize it as a device and it works perfectly hassle-free only on Mac platforms.
8. Fifine Metal Condenser Studio Vocal Recording Microphone
This is a simple USB microphone for recording purposes and it is easy to use. We just need to plug it in our device and we are good to go for our recording needs. The volume control allows the user to control and monitor the level of the input sound. The microphone is completely compatible with Windows or Mac and the digital audio allows us to edit the recorded sound with the help of any sound editing software. The in-built filter and cardioids pickup pattern help in filtering the background noise and only records the clean and crisp audio.
- First things first, this model is a pretty good deal at such a low price and you can set up a professional studio on your desktop just by adding some extra equipment and the total amount spent will be less than $50.
- The audio output quality is great when used on live streams, especially while playing games.
- The range of the microphone is very high and the condenser can hear your audio from arm's length of distance.
- The microphone is too sensitive and picks up the surrounding disturbances very easily.
- We have to set up the correct levels and also determine the correct distance for ascertaining that the clear audio is captured by the microphone.
9. TONOR XLR Microphone Kit
This is a condenser microphone and needs a phantom power source for proper functioning. The mic comes with all the necessary setup pieces of equipment required, including stand and table clamps and also a pop filter. The connection is of XLR type and it also comes with a sound card that you can use for enhancing and editing the audio quality.
The pickup pattern of the microphone is of cardioids type and so it picks up sound from the sides and records clear audio. The mic can be connected to any mixer device or software using the equipped sound card for editing and enhancing purposes.
- The recorded audio is very clear and the output sound quality is crisp and free from any kind of unwanted noise or disturbance.
- There are two kinds of pop filters present in the microphone and both of them work pretty well and it completely depends on you regarding which filter you want to use for recording the audio.
- The build quality of the microphone is not top-notch and on the contrary is very flimsy when handled, so the mics are not at all durable.
- The XLR cord is also very flimsy and appears to be broken on the slightest pull in the wrong direction.
10. MXL Mics 770 Cardioid Condenser Microphone
This is a condenser mic and has been specially designed for recording artists. So the sound capture is very clear and eliminates the surrounding disturbances from the other sources. The dynamic range of the mic is very good and it captures the sounds for very low frequencies with much clarity.
- The accessories bundle that comes with the mic is very good for setting it up for the amateurs as they have to spend no extra money on buying them from external sources.
- The sound quality is very good and the audio output is very top-notch.
- After a little time of use, the microphone developed some permanent static disturbances that interfered with the sound recording quality of the microphone.
Things to consider while buying good cheap mics
So we have covered the basic grounds of the available best affordable microphones in the market, but some of us might still be confused and that confusion is regarding how to choose the correct microphone for our needs. The following points will act as a buying guide for everyone who is thinking of getting a budget microphone. We need to keep the following points in mind while purchasing or choosing a cheap but good microphone.
- Dynamic range
The dynamic range is very important while choosing a mic. It’s necessarily the lowest and the highest frequency the microphone can catch and we need to check it depends on the intensity of sound we are going to work with.
- Noise floor
The noise floor is the noise made by the microphone itself. We need to check this as lower the noise floor the better is the clarity of the output audio and crisper will it sound while editing.
- Frequency responsiveness
It's the analysis of the responsiveness of the mic to different frequencies. The higher this factor is, the crisper the output audio will be and it's very vital if we want to record any instrument.
- Power requirements
This is the power supply system of the microphone. It can either be powered through a wire or might require a phantom power supply. We need to choose it according to our comfort of usage.
- Pickup pattern
This is the directions from which the audio is picked up by the microphone and it can vary from model to model. So we need to examine which pickup pattern is the best according to our setup.
This is very crucial as the higher the sensitivity the more sounds the microphone will pick up. So we need to decide which sensitivity is the best according to our surrounding noise patterns and what are the output audio sounds that we need.
Are wireless microphones better than the wired ones?
This is a general misconception and variants of both the types offer exceptional performance. Buy a wired or wireless microphone completely based on your requirement and budget.
Do all the microphones come with a stand?
No, all the microphones do not come with a stand and stand is only provided by some sellers. Contact the seller before making any purchase decision.
Do these microphones run with Mac?
Most of the microphones are compatible with Windows and Mac. But read carefully the compatibility information for making sure that the microphone is supported on Mac.